Each of us is a Sinner
First, my friend, you must realize you are a sinner. "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23).
God gave the law so that we may understand what sin is:
- Exodus 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
- Exodus 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
- Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
- Exodus 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother:
- Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill. First John 3:15 tells us, "Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him."
- Exodus 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery. In Matthew 5:28 Jesus says, "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."
- Exodus 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.
- Exodus 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
- Exodus 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
Friend, can you honestly say you have never broken one of God's commands? Have you always honored your parents? Have you ever told a lie? Have you ever used God's name as an exclamation or swear word? God's standard is perfection, even one violation of God's law makes you guilty of breaking His law and a sinner.